Re: uh-oh

From: Tom Allison <tallison(at)tacocat(dot)net>
To: Philip Hallstrom <postgresql(at)philip(dot)pjkh(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: uh-oh
Date: 2006-06-12 10:17:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

Philip Hallstrom wrote:
>> I think I screwed up.
>>
>> I was running something in the background to update a table based on
>> the jobs output (once every 1-10 seconds) and while that was running I
>> created an index on the same table.
>>
>> Now that index is not used according to explain plans.
>> It does show up when I type '\di'
>> But I can't DROP INDEX.
>>
>> I think I'm in some trouble but I don't know how much.
>

> Have you vacuum analyzed that table? Maybe the statistics still think a
> table scan is the best option?

Is that a normal to run vacuum analyze on a table after building indexes?
I can give it a try, but I'm asking for "care and feeding" reasons.

I did run vacuum and analyze seperately with no affect.

Given 2.6 million rows and a cost of >80,000 pages I would have anticipated a
full table scan to be avoided.

I'll get back to it later. I've had to learn how to dump/restore really quick
because somewhere the indexes were built with some "illegal" names and I
couldn't drop them. The names where "public.email_address" instead of
"email_address" for a table in the public schema. pgaccess is not my friend
anymore.

I'm not sure I did the dump/restore correctly. The man pages instructions didn't
match real life.

pg_dump -d email -c -f email.out
pg_restore -d email -f email.out

give all kinds of errors last night. I'll have to make a little database and
test it until I get them right.