Re: not valid character for Unicode

From: Adam Witney <awitney(at)sgul(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: Adam Witney <awitney(at)sgul(dot)ac(dot)uk>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: not valid character for Unicode
Date: 2006-06-10 08:31:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 04:32:35PM +0100, Adam Witney wrote:
>>> The database will do it for you. Note that the client encoding affects
>>> input *and* output. So if you set it to latin1, the database will
>>> convert all strings to latin1 before sending them to you...
>> ok, so my current database (7.4.12) is UNICODE, but from psql when i run
>> this
>
> <snip>
>
>> SELECT identifier from dba_data_base where bioassay_id = 1291 and
>> identifier ilike '%G(at)S%';
>> identifier
>> --------------
>> BG(at)S (0A11)
>>
>> so the mu chatacter is not showing up. So im not sure if the database is
>> converting the output?
>
> Is the character actually there? Do a length(identifier) on it to see
> how many characters there are. When doing an interactive session it's
> important that the client_encoding matches your display, otherwise you
> might find it dropping characters or messing up in other ways.

yep it is there, when i display the data from the application (PHP) it
shows the character on the web page. Also this causes errors when i dump
from 7.4 and try to load into 8.1 (i've read that the UNICODE checking
became more stringent in 8)

so basically 8.1 won't accept this character... im just not entirely
sure what to do about that?

thanks again for your help

adam

believed to be clean.