Re: not valid character for Unicode

From: Adam Witney <awitney(at)sgul(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: Adam Witney <awitney(at)sgul(dot)ac(dot)uk>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: not valid character for Unicode
Date: 2006-06-09 15:17:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 03:59:52PM +0100, Adam Witney wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Im trying to upgrade from 7.4 -> 8.1 but it is failing with Unicode
>> errors. The offending character is the greek character mu (often used
>> for micro). Here is an offending string "BµG(at)S" (in case it doesn't
>> appear in the email, the mu is between the B and the G)
>>
>> Any ideas why this character is not valid in Unicode?
>
> It's a valid unicode character, it's just you havn't encoded it in
> unicode. It's probably in Latin-1. In that case, you need to specify it
> in the client encoding...

Hi Martijn,

thanks for your quick response.

Ok i am a bit confused by all this encoding stuff... i don't really know
how to encode it in unicode? this is a text string that is extracted
from a text file, i just put it in an INSERT statement.

I have to replace fields with this in it with a valid string that will
load into 8.1, do you know who i would do the conversion?

thanks

adam

believed to be clean.