Re: BUG #5718: Cannot start postgres (FATAL: invalid cache id: 19)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Aleksandr Dushein <adushein(at)rutube(dot)ru>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: BUG #5718: Cannot start postgres (FATAL: invalid cache id: 19)
Date: 2011-05-05 15:37:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> This exact symptom was just reported twice in pgsql-es-ayuda. Upgrading
> to 9.0.4 fixed the problem. One of them used pg_upgrade from a previous
> version, the other one did not. I'm not sure that it's worthwhile to
> expore the underlying cause, but it seems clear that pg_upgrade is not
> the only possibly guilty party.

Yeah, it seems like we are getting into XID-wraparound-approaching
states a lot more easily, or a lot quicker, than I would expect.
The original theory about that, which turned out to be true, was that
pg_upgrade was bollixing relfrozenxid values. But that makes at least
two reports from people who (claimed they) didn't use pg_upgrade.
So maybe there is something else going on. I see no way to investigate
on the strength of the available evidence though ...