Re: Best high availability solution ?

From: Arnaud Lesauvage <thewild(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best high availability solution ?
Date: 2006-05-31 10:27:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Dave Page a écrit :
> Slony-I only exists for Windows in a not-even-beta state at the moment,
> so even if you get things up and running using a virtual IP solution you
> will be hand-holding Slony until it gets properly released.

OK, I thought it was in production stage.

> If I'm honest, I think your boss is going to be disappointed. You would
> add a *lot* of complexity to the system to make it handle failures with
> zero intervention, and that extra complexity is probably more likely to
> go wrong than a single server. I'd spend your time and money on making
> sure your raid & ups are good, that you are running on server grade
> hardware with ECC RAM, and that you have good out of band management
> facilities so even if you are away from the office you can connect via
> VPN/modem or whatever and fix things.

I think you're right.
Is there a simple replication solution for windows then ? Or will
I have to stop the master postgresql at night to pgdump and
pgrestore on the backup server ?

If I have a synchronized backup server (even if it synchronizes
once or twice a day, this might be OK), I could just write a
simple script that would change the host file of the clients to
have the postgresql's name to point to the backup IP...

--
Arnaud