Re: Further reduction of bufmgr lock contention

From: Gavin Hamill <gdh(at)acentral(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Further reduction of bufmgr lock contention
Date: 2006-05-23 15:54:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> I've been looking into Gavin Hamill's recent report of poor performance
> with PG 8.1 on an 8-way IBM PPC64 box.

[...]

Hullo again :)

I'm unfamiliar with postgres development practices, so this is more a
request for information than anything else.

It's been about a month since the last activity on bufmgr as documented
on the hackers list and I was just concerned that this issue had been
filed as an interesting toy at the time, but now left for the circular
filing cabinet :)

Tom + Simon were able to see a fairly easy 25% performance boost against
our dataset and I'd obv. be very keen to see this work make it into
8.1.4 or 8.2.0 :)

Cheers,
Gavin.