Re: psql feature thought

From: Mark Dilger <pgsql(at)markdilger(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: psql feature thought
Date: 2006-05-16 20:39:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was dinking around wand came across something that may (or may not be
> useful).
>
> What if single line statements that were seperated by ; within psql were
> implicitly within a transaction?
>
> E.g;
>
> postgres=# select * from foo; update foo set bar = 'baz'; delete from bing;
>
> Would be a single transaction ? The begin/commit would be implicit.
>
> Joshua D. Drake

In psql (and in bash, etc) I like to type multiple commands separated by ';' if
I want them all to run but I don't want to wait for the first to complete before
typing the second, third, etc. (Possibly I would rather go get a coffee while
the commands are running.)

So, I might type:

psql# <LONG RUNNING INSERT STATEMENT>; <LONG RUNNING SELECT STATEMENT>

and let it fly. It would violate the principle of least surprise if doing this
on one line caused the semantics to change.

mark