Re: Parallel safety tagging of extension functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel safety tagging of extension functions
Date: 2016-06-01 14:44:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se> writes:
> It is the least ugly of all the ugly solutions I could think of. I have
> attached a patch which fixes the signatures using this method. I use
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION to update to catcache. What do you think? Is
> it too ugly?

I don't understand why you think you need the CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION
commands? We only need to change proargtypes, and the updates did that.
The catcache can take care of itself.

I think it would be good practice to be more careful about
schema-qualifying all the pg_catalog table and type names.

I also think it's a bad idea to use to_regprocedure() rather than
a cast to regprocedure. If the name isn't found, we want an error,
not a silent NULL result leading to no update occurring.