Re: GUI Interface

From: Thomas Hallgren <thomas(at)tada(dot)se>
To: Dan Armbrust <daniel(dot)armbrust(dot)list(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GUI Interface
Date: 2006-05-13 07:05:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Dan Armbrust wrote:
> You live in an interesting world... meanwhile, I'm here in the real
> world, using Eclipse - the best IDE I've ever used to develop java
> applications. Oh, wait, Eclipse is written in Java? I didn't think it
> was possible to write good apps in java? Certainly better than visual
> studio (and yes, I have to use both - eclipse is a far better IDE in my
> opinion). Oh, and I can run eclipse on my linux desktop as well as my
> windows desktop? Thats just cool. Oh, and my next machine? Definitely
> a Mac. And it woks there too - just like all of my SWT apps do.
>
> I will admit, it is rather easy to write slow java swing applications
> There are a lot of poor ones out there. Its a shame that Sun botched
> swing so badly, and have never repaired it properly. Its not impossible
> to write fast, responsive apps in swing, it just takes skilled
> developers. And its a pain.
>
> However, now with the emergence of SWT and modern JVM's - there is no
> reason for your java GUI to be any slower than anything else. The only
> excuse for a slow java app these days is the quality of the code that it
> is built with. And you can write a bad, slow app in any language.

Cool. At least one that actually knows what he's talking about and have real life
experience. I'm also using Eclipse and a slew of other Java apps. No complaints whatsoever
on performance. Not too happy about all C/C++ apps that crash on illegal memory access though...

+1 (or 10) for Java on the desktop.

I will not spend time on a war that cannot be fought in this forum. Just wanted to air my
opinion this once :-)

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren