Re: solaris build problem with Sun compilers

From: Alan Stange <stange(at)rentec(dot)com>
To: Alan Stange <stange(at)rentec(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: solaris build problem with Sun compilers
Date: 2006-05-12 16:22:43
Lists: pgsql-ports

Hello,

I removed the whole tas_dummy() block for sparc from s_lock.c. I
recompiled and installed with and without --enable-debug. I then ran
pgbench on the box. This is using the Sun 11 compilers on Solaris 10.

I tested using pgbench

$ pgbench -i -s 32 pgbench
$ pgbench -s 32 -c 1 -t 10000 -v

for up to 8 clients on an 8 core UltraSparc IV+ system.

Everything compiled and ran fine.

I took a look at backend/port/tas/solaris_sparc.s file. Isn't that code
a bit longer than needed?

Aren't the callers of this doing
while (tas(lock)) {
// wait a bit without smashing the kernel/memory bus
}

in which case the code should just be

ldstub [%o0],%o0
retl
nop

without the extra comparisons and branching. Unless I'm missing something.

-- Alan