Re: Banners on postgresql.org not running on pgsql?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Banners on postgresql.org not running on pgsql?
Date: 2006-05-10 15:09:52
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> Why? Personally, I think it falls under 'the right tool for the job'
> ... there are two things I use MySQL for: phpAdsNew and
> Spamassassin/Bayes DB ... neither of which I care if there is data lost
> for, and for which using Berkeley DB would work just as well, if I cared
> to learn its API ...

Well one argument would be that it isn't the right tool for the job but
that is VI vs Emacs :) However, if I were a MySQL advocate and I watched
this list, I would be all over the issue...

PostgreSQL website requires MySQL, hahahahahahahaa...

John, "Why would I use MySQL for my website over PostgreSQL?".
"Well, Frank did you know that even PostgreSQL uses MySQL for their
website?"

How long do you think it will take for people to let that go? We still
get people that think that Vacuum exclusively locks tables.

> And ya, that is *still* the level I put MySQL at ... Berkeley DB + an
> SQL frontend.

Ahhh but most people don't... Most people *think* that MySQL can
actually compete with PostgreSQL.

> How many ppl on this list are using Berkeley DB for their stuff, when a
> PostgreSQL backend is available? Postfix has native PostgreSQL hooks
> for most of their maps, but how many ppl use that over hash tables?

Not I :). I even made us switch to PostgreSQL for all our Trac sites.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/