Problem dropping a table

From: Daniel Armbrust <daniel(dot)armbrust(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem dropping a table
Date: 2006-05-09 20:39:05
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I have a java application that is trying to dynamically drop a set of
tables. Problem is, when it gets to a particular table and I execute
the "drop table foo cascade" command from a prepared statement, the
query never returns. It just hangs indefinitely. I presume that it is
waiting on a lock for this table, but there is nothing that I know of
that should be locking this table.

So, I have two issues - the first, how do I prevent myself from hanging
indefinitely? I tried 'setQueryTimeout' on the prepared statement, but
it doesn't seem to have any effect. Still hangs indefinitely. Is
setQueryTimeout implemented in the driver? I first posted on the
regular mailing list, and Tom answered that the server should be
supporting it.

The second, how can I track down what is locking this table? I presume
that it is some of my code somewhere... maybe a prepared statement that
I didn't get closed - but I can't find it. I've checked my code twice
for any reference to this table, and every use of it is properly closing
the result sets and the prepared statement. It seems like maybe the
driver isn't releasing a lock when it is supposed to?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

--