Re: Slides for last night's talk

From: Tim Allen <tim(at)proximity(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)alcove(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: sydpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slides for last night's talk
Date: 2006-05-03 02:23:32
Lists: sydpug

Gavin Sherry wrote:
> You can fine my slides here:
>
> http://pugs.postgresql.org/sydpug/archives/000056.html

Thanks for that, Gavin. There are a few points that seem new and
interesting to me - wish I had been there for your explanation. Hope you
don't mind a delayed Q&A session :-).

Setting wal_buffers to 64 to 512 seems much higher than any previous
recommendation I'd seen. I (just now) noticed Josh Berkus's blog entry
where he did some testing that showed performance goes up with
wal_buffers in the range you've just indicated. But the annotated conf
document just says that wal_buffers isn't all that important, it only
needs to be big enough to hold a single transaction, and you're better
off paying attention to checkpoint_segments. You haven't mentioned
checkpoint_segments in your slides. Is there some way out of the
apparent contradiction? I guess the annotated conf is still aimed at
8.0, perhaps it needs updating for 8.1? Does your experience back up
Josh's recent testing? And do you have any particular recommendation for
checkpoint_segments?

Setting wal_buffers higher has a cost in consumption of shared memory,
right? So presumably you don't want to be too profligate with it.

On shared_buffers, your slide says "up to" 1/3 of physical memory. Did
you say anything about how close to that upper limit it's worth going? I
gather for 8.0 and earlier there wasn't much point setting
shared_buffers too high, as the kernel's own cacheing was about as good
as postgres's buffer cache, but that 8.1 made enough improvements to the
shared buffer cache to possibly change that situation. Do you have a
recommendation based on the changes in 8.1?

You've listed Opteron, Itanium II and Xeon on the same line for cpu
recommendations, which presumably implies you think they're roughly
equivalent. Lots of comments I've seen on the mailing lists indicate the
Opteron does rather better than anything from Intel; is that not your
experience?

On H/A, and the RedHat cluster solution with shared SAN (or shared SCSI
array), we've had one disaster with that at one customer (corrupted
database) which we guessed (but weren't able to prove) was due to the
cluster manager failing to adequately ensure that only one postgres
instance had the filesystem mounted at a time. We couldn't really get to
the bottom of it, because the install was difficult for other reasons,
and we weren't able to do any other testing. I've seen some mailing list
postings from Alvaro H to the effect that he knows of a site in
Venezuela that had the same problem. Because of that, I've tended to
regard the RedHat cluster solution with some suspicion. But upon further
searching, I haven't come across any other reports of failures, and have
seen a few mentions in passing of people actually using it. What's your
impression and/or experience? Can we trust RedHat's cluster management?

> Thanks all,
>
> Gavin

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Allen tim(at)proximity(dot)com(dot)au
Proximity Pty Ltd http://www.proximity.com.au/