Perl and psql variables

From: Mark Campbell <mdc(at)ucs(dot)co(dot)za>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Perl and psql variables
Date: 2006-04-26 12:11:12
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi

I am currently running a Perl script once a month which in turn uses a
sql script file to extract info from a postgres database.

I would like to automate this perl script, but the problem that I have
is that I need to pass on a variable from the perl script to the sql script.

Yes, I can add the entire block of sql code into the perl script, but I
don't want it to function like that ie duplicate the sql code in the
perl script, as I might need a different perl script to execute the same
sql.

eg

the perl script generates a variable called $month (which is the current
month), I then need that month variable passed as a command line line
parameter to psql. eg psql -f sql.file --variable "month = $month"
then do a SELECT with the variable called :month

Is this possible to do, if so how?

Regards

--

Mark Campbell