Patch for #2391: "Similar to" pattern matching does not operate as documented

From: Dhanaraj M <Dhanaraj(dot)M(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Patch for #2391: "Similar to" pattern matching does not operate as documented
Date: 2006-04-19 07:24:54
Lists: pgsql-patches

Hi

I attach the patch for this bug. I have run the regression test and
passed. please review this and waiting for your reply.

As explained in the mailing list, the parenthesis is appened when '|'
operator is used without parenthesis.

Thanks
Dhanaraj

Bug reference: 2391
Logged by: Eric Noriega
Email address: noriega ( at ) gwu ( dot ) edu
PostgreSQL version: 7.0.5
Operating system: Linux Fedora core 4
documented
Details:

As far as I can tell, this may be a bug in how the pattern matches.

db=# select 'tab' similar to '(a|b)';
?column?

db=# select 'tab' similar to 'a|b';
?column?

The doc says: Like LIKE, the SIMILAR TO operator succeeds only if its
pattern matches the entire string; this is unlike common regular expression
practice, wherein the pattern may match any part of the string.

If the second case is invalid as an expression (not clear in the
docs:Parentheses may be used to group items into a single logical item),
then the statement should fail, or return false, not return true.