Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?

From: Christoph Della Valle <christoph(dot)dellavalle(at)goetheanum(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?
Date: 2006-04-18 07:37:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

hi

Relaxin schrieb:

> I see and hear this kind of stuff all the time.
> Every company has a boilerplate answer to why the competition is worse.
the manner of your replays lets me assume - well, never mind, that's not
my level of discussion.

> So how does a potential user figure out which is better...
as you have read, this depends on your circumstances. you _never_
specified what you are going to do with this database...

> More people know of MySQL and MySQL is assoicated with speed.
> Rather it's real or not, it doesn't matter. MySQL has got mindshare.
so does windows... again: not a bad software as well, depending on what
you want to do!

> PG is assoicated to slow,
we experience it as very fast
complex, hard to use
I don't regard me to be a genius, nevertheless had never any problems to
work with postgres. pgadmin has its hickups, but most of the time i'm
working on the console. you see again, it depends what you are doing
and how do you like to work
and arrogant support.
I always got fast and good answers in the forum. maybe what you
troubled was an echo of your own call? c'est le ton qui fait la musique,
as we like to say...

> Stop with the "My daddy can beat up your daddy" mentality and show us HOW to
> setup
> PG to be fast.
> That why, we can ALSO be a voice to prove that PG is fast and not complex
> and eventually disspell the notion that PG is a slow database.
there is no 'best' or 'worts' it always depends on the task. I admit, I
as well could have used a good list showing in which circumstances
which database performs best. The problem is, that such a list must be
written by a person with thorough knowledge of all compared databases.

> Thanks
cheers,