Re: Query grid

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: edigeronimo(at)xtracards(dot)com, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Query grid
Date: 2006-04-03 13:50:00
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

The builtin table can *never* be faster than a clean virtual implementation.

>>This implementation is clearly a bad regression. Please
>>revert ASAP and come back with a non-grid version (virtual
>>listbox or listview), I still fail to see any advantage of
>>wxGrid for this usage.
>

> It has been proven to be significantly faster. I will not revert the
> patch unless it proves impossible to fix the problem you are seeing,
> which seems unlikely given the speedup which I saw on the earlier
> versions. Reverting every patch because it is found not to be perfect
> when first applied would be a very good way of ensuring that nothing
> ever gets done.

IMNSHO this patch is rotten from the ground. wxGrid is known to be
flakey, extending its use is a bad idea. The speed issue is not a
question of grid or non-grid, it's a question of virtual data/display
management.

Regards,
Andreas