Re: Tru64/Alpha problems

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Postgresql Dev <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tru64/Alpha problems
Date: 2006-03-30 22:17:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>>> I'm not sure that I believe the "getaddrinfo doesn't work" diagnosis
>>> anyway, seeing that bear gets through "make check" okay. Wouldn't that
>>> fail too if there were a problem there?
>>>

>> Now that I look further into it, this machine was working just fine
>> until we made a change in configure, allegedly to get things right on
>> Tru64. The first build that went wrong was the one right after
>> configure.in version 1.450. I see a report from Albert Chin that this
>> patch worked, but the buildfarm member seems to provide counter-proof.
>>

> Ugh. So probably it depends on just which version of Tru64 you're using
> :-(. Maybe earlier versions of Tru64 have a broken getaddrinfo and it's
> fixed in later ones? How would we tell the difference?

I have done some more digging on this. The buildfarm member had a couple
of configuration issues which I have remedied, and which almost
certainly account for the float test errors we saw. However, we still
get an error when we try to start the installed s/w with the default
listen_addresses:

LOG: could not translate host name "localhost", service "5832" to address: servname not supported for ai_socktype

Of course, this won't be seen with "make check", since it starts on Unix
with listen_addresses='', which means we never even look for any sort of
TCP addrinfo.

I found a hint on the web that we should use -D_SOCKADDR_LEN. I tried
this, but got a link failure, complaining about revc and send. This man
page extract explains:

[Tru64 UNIX] The recv() function is identical to the recvfrom() function
with a zero-valued address_len parameter, and to the read() function if no
flags are used. For that reason the recv() function is disabled when
4.4BSD behavior is enabled; that is, when the _SOCKADDR_LEN compile-time
option is defined.

I'd like to know some settings that we can use that will get Tru64
cleanly through the buildfarm set. If noone offers any, I propose that
we revert the getaddrinfo() test in configure and use our own on Tru64
until they do.

cheers

andrew