Re: Win32 sysconfig -> pg_service.conf

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Win32 sysconfig -> pg_service.conf
Date: 2006-03-30 01:45:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

David Fetter wrote:

>>>doesn't report anything by way of --sysconfdir, which in turn means
>>>that people have to do some fragile hackery in order even to see a
>>>pg_service.conf file. Can we put such a configuration directive
>>>into the binary builds? Is this known to work?
>>>

>>In any case, the default is $prefix/etc which is probably not what
>>you want anyway - why not set the PGSYSCONFDIR environment variable
>>to point to where you put the service file?
>>

>Let's turn that question around. Why *shouldn't* there be a default
>built in? "No default" seems like a pretty poor fall-through.

On further investigation, this appears to be an artifact of the
directory not existing, causing GetShortPathName to return an empty
string, as noted in this comment:

* This can fail in 2 ways - if the path doesn't exist, or short names are
* disabled. In the first case, don't return any path.

I think maybe we need a pg_config switch to allow us to fall back to
GetFullPathName, which does not fail if the target doesn't exist. After
all, it's cold comfort that libpq probably does the right thing if we
don't have any reasonable way of finding out what that is.

In the case of Windows binary packages, the place that actually works is
apparently $bindir/../etc

thoughts?

cheers

andrew