Re: Decide between Postgresql and Mysql (help of

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: Marcos <mjs_ops(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Decide between Postgresql and Mysql (help of
Date: 2006-03-28 20:50:53
Lists: pgsql-performance

Marcos wrote:

>>So, what exactly are you planning on doing?
>>

>The application will be a chat for web, the chats will be stored in the
>server. In a determined interval of time... more or less 2 seconds, the
>application will be looking for new messages.
>
>I believe that it will make many accesses. The write in disc will be
>constant.

Ok. I would favor PostgreSQL for reasons of ease of future
development. However, lets look at what both RDBMS's buy you:

MySQL:
1) Possibility of many components for web apps that can be used though
the lack of certain features (such as complex updateable views) makes
this possibly an issue.
2) Great simple read performance.

PostgreSQL:
1) Possibility to integrate any other components later (including those
on MySQL via DBI-Link).
2) Fabulous community support (and I am sure fabulous paid support too
given the fact that many of those who contribute to the great community
support also offer paid support).
3) Better parallel write performance.
4) Greater extensibility, leading to greater flexibility down the road
should you want to add in new components without rewriting your front-end.

For a simple chat client, you can probably put something together with
some Perl/CGI scripts, Jabber, and MySQL or PostgreSQL pretty easily and
without much development labor at all. Indeed I would suggest that the
RDBMS is, absent other specific concerns, the least of your issues.

In other words, both are probably adequate. It is impossible to provide
an estimate for capacity though without knowing the app in question,
expected query composition, and so forth.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting