Re: PoC: Make it possible to disallow WHERE-less UPDATE and DELETE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Vik Fearing <vik(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PoC: Make it possible to disallow WHERE-less UPDATE and DELETE
Date: 2016-07-27 01:41:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 7/26/16 6:14 PM, Vik Fearing wrote:
>> As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, you can just do WHERE true to get
>> around it, so why on Earth have it PGC_SUSET?

> I'm not sure whether it's supposed to guard against typos and possibly
> buggy SQL string concatenation in application code. So it would help
> against accidental mistakes, whereas putting a WHERE TRUE in there would
> be an intentional override.

Maybe I misunderstood Vik's point; I thought he was complaining that
it's silly to make this SUSET rather than USERSET. I tend to agree.
We have a rough consensus that GUCs that change query semantics are
bad, but if it simply throws an error (or not) then it's not likely
to cause any surprising application behaviors.