PostgreSQL 8.1 v. Oracle 10g xe

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)metatrontech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL 8.1 v. Oracle 10g xe
Date: 2006-03-24 01:02:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Recently I have been attempting to install Compiere. After spending a
lot of time attempting to get it to work, I have given up installing it
on PostgreSQL. I did however, get a little experience installing JDBC
and PL/Java in the mean time.

I discovered in the process of attempting to install Oracle 10g express
edition that it is an extraordinary memory hog. One might have thought
that one might have something that might have lower system requirements
than the full version. However, this is not the case.

The installation itself is about 2GB (meaning you need at least 2GB of
free space and 352 MB RAM. The installation failed because it said I
needed at least 700MB swap space to install on Linux based on these
resources. Am I the only one who finds this disturbing? Why should an
RDBMS require so much swap space?

After this experience, I have a much more profound appreciation for the
quality RDBMS that is PostgreSQL. PostgreSQL will install fine on any
of my computers if I need it to.

In short, thanks guys for such an awesome RDBMS. PostgreSQL will always
remain my favorite.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting