Re: [DOCS] COPY command documentation

From: Oisin Glynn <me(at)oisinglynn(dot)com>
To: pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [DOCS] COPY command documentation
Date: 2006-03-23 20:31:42
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 14:12, David Fetter wrote:

>>> No, comments don't roll forward.
>>>
>> ...and it's unlikely that they will, now or later, without somebody
>> whose whole job is to monitor those comments and make patches.
>>
>> I'd like to make a Modest Proposalâ„¢: Let's take down the interactive
>> documents and, in their place, put up a request that doc patches be
>> sent to -docs.
>>

> Heck, why not a form that does it for somebody, takes their email
> address, and possibly even enrolls them in the -docs newsgroup. It
> can't be that hard to code up.

I am a Windows only developer (for my sins) and to be honest we are
using postgres allot and are impressed by it but the *NIX centric
examples in the docs can sometimes be a challenge, if there is a clear
difference between Windows/*NIX operation and it is not obvious what the
Windows equivalent is then there should be a Windows example or a note
within the example explaining the difference.

It seems like the viewing docs with notes is far less useful if we loose
all the wisdom every time there is a new release, and personally I have
found the notes useful more than once.

Maybe a did you find this note useful button and useful notes get
priority for doc inclusion?

What is the process for submitting a doc patch? I am sure I should be
asking that on the doc list.

Oisin