Re: Introduce WAIT_EVENT_EXTENSION and WAIT_EVENT_BUFFER_PIN

From: Masahiro Ikeda <ikedamsh(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Introduce WAIT_EVENT_EXTENSION and WAIT_EVENT_BUFFER_PIN
Date: 2023-06-08 01:57:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-05-19 16:48, Drouvot, Bertrand wrote:
> While at it, I think that making use of an enum might also be an open
> door
> (need to think more about it) to allow extensions to set their own wait
> event.
> Something like RequestNamedLWLockTranche()/GetNamedLWLockTranche() are
> doing.
>
> Currently we have "only" the "extension" wait event which is not that
> useful when
> there is multiples extensions installed in a database.

(Excuse me for cutting in, and this is not directly related to the
thread.)
+1. I'm interested in the feature.

Recently, I encountered a case where it would be nice if
different wait events were output for each extension.

I tested a combination of two extensions, postgres_fdw and neon[1],
and they output the "Extension" wait event, but it wasn't immediately
clear
which one was the bottleneck.

This is just a example and it probable be useful for other users. IMO,
at least,
it's better to improve the specification that "Extension" wait event
type has
only the "Extension" wait event.

[1] https://github.com/neondatabase/neon

Regards,