Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] guppie: 64MB RAM too small?

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgbuildfarm-members(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] guppie: 64MB RAM too small?
Date: 2006-03-20 19:18:46
Lists: buildfarm-members pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>
>> Christian Mair wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>

>> Hi Christian!
>>

>>> I've recently added guppie to the buildfarm:
>>> http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_history.pl?nm=guppy&br=HEAD
>>>
>>> I see random failures on make check which appearantly are
>>> guppie's fault. Instead of the expected outputs one can see
>>> lines such as:
>>> "could not send startup packet: Broken pipe"
>>> or
>>> "psql: could not fork new process for connection: Resource temporarily
>>> unavailable"
>>>
>>> To me, these look like messages you get from overloading a machine
>>> (no more RAM, no more processes, ...)
>>>

>> not really "overloading"
>>

>>> Now the question is: is guppie to small for make check?
>>> It is Open BSD 3.8 on a Pentium 1 with 64MB RAM and 256MB SWAP.
>>> It runs just the buildfarm, sshd and apache (totally idle), no gui.
>>>

>> I operate the other OpenBSD buildfarm member (spoonbill), if you are
>> running the buildfarm script under a user that falls into the
>> "default" login-class (/etc/login.conf) it will get a limit of 64
>> maxfiles and 64 processes.
>> This limit is too small for make check to complete - so either up the
>> limits for the default login class or move the buildfarm user to
>> another class with higher limits.
>>
>> beside that one of my other buildfarm boxes (lionfish) happily works
>> with 48MB of RAM - so 64MB is plenty enough ;-)
>>

> You can also reduce the amount of parallelism by setting
> MAX_CONNECTIONS. There is an example in the standard config file,
> commented out. Not sure if this will help though.
>
> Stefan, what maxfiles/maxprocesses should be set for OpenBSD? Are the
> initial settings hard limits or can we increase them in the config file?

not sure what the minimal requirements are for a make check to complete
without lowering MAX_CONNECTIONS actually . I have mine set to 512/512
for the pgbuild-farm user.
I guess a lot less than that might be enough though ...

While at least the maxproc limit can be raised up to the hardlimit of
128 I don't think that is worth spending any development time on with
trying to raise it in the build-farm script ...

Stefan