Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] guppie: 64MB RAM too small?

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Christian Mair <chris(at)1006(dot)org>
Cc: pgbuildfarm-members(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] guppie: 64MB RAM too small?
Date: 2006-03-20 09:54:51
Lists: buildfarm-members pgsql-hackers

Christian Mair wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Christian!

> I've recently added guppie to the buildfarm:
> http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_history.pl?nm=guppy&br=HEAD
>
> I see random failures on make check which appearantly are
> guppie's fault. Instead of the expected outputs one can see
> lines such as:
> "could not send startup packet: Broken pipe"
> or
> "psql: could not fork new process for connection: Resource temporarily
> unavailable"
>
> To me, these look like messages you get from overloading a machine
> (no more RAM, no more processes, ...)

not really "overloading"

> Now the question is: is guppie to small for make check?
> It is Open BSD 3.8 on a Pentium 1 with 64MB RAM and 256MB SWAP.
> It runs just the buildfarm, sshd and apache (totally idle), no gui.

I operate the other OpenBSD buildfarm member (spoonbill), if you are
running the buildfarm script under a user that falls into the "default"
login-class (/etc/login.conf) it will get a limit of 64 maxfiles and 64
processes.
This limit is too small for make check to complete - so either up the
limits for the default login class or move the buildfarm user to another
class with higher limits.

beside that one of my other buildfarm boxes (lionfish) happily works
with 48MB of RAM - so 64MB is plenty enough ;-)

Stefan