Re: n00b autovacuum question

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Antoine <melser(dot)anton(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: n00b autovacuum question
Date: 2006-03-18 17:46:00
Lists: pgsql-performance

Antoine wrote:
> Hi,
> I have enabled the autovacuum daemon, but occasionally still get a
> message telling me I need to run vacuum when I access a table in
> pgadmin.

pgAdmin notices a discrepancy between real rowcount and estimated
rowcount and thus suggests to run vacuum/analyze; it won't examine
autovacuum rules so it might warn although autovac is running ok.

If you're sure autovacuum is running fine, just dismiss the message.
It's a hint for newbies that do *not* run vacuum because they don't know
what it's good for.

Regards
Andreas