Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Date: 2018-12-13 19:17:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 12/12/2018 05:09, David Steele wrote:
>> I think the patch stands on its own. Exclusive backup mode is broken
>> and is know to cause problems in the field.
>
> Is this breakage documented anywhere for users?

Yes:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/continuous-archiving.html

"Note that if the server crashes during the backup it may not be
possible to restart until the backup_label file has been manually
deleted from the PGDATA directory."

Seems like the wording could be stronger.

--
-David
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net