Re: [GSoC] application ideas

From: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: pantilimonov misha <pantlimon(at)yandex(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GSoC] application ideas
Date: 2019-03-24 09:12:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, Michael!

> 19 марта 2019 г., в 14:53, pantilimonov misha <pantlimon(at)yandex(dot)ru> написал(а):
>
> 2) Changing buffer manager strategy.
> Somewhere in 2016 Andres Freund made a presention[6] of possible improvements
> that can be done in buffer manager. I find the idea of changing hashtable to
> trees of radix trees[7] promising. Most likely, taking into account program's
> time constraints, this task won't be done as "ready to deploy" solution.
> Instead, some kind of prototype can be implemented and benchmarked.

I like the idea of more efficient BufferTag->Page data structure. I'm not sure cache locality is a real problem there, but I believe this idea deserves giving it a shot.
I'd happily review your proposal and co-mentor project, if it will be chosen for GSoC.

Also, plz check some work of my students in related area [0].

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

[0] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/89A121E3-B593-4D65-98D9-BBC210B87268%40yandex-team.ru