Re: GNU Cash (lack of) support of Postgres

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)metatrontech(dot)com>
To: Joshua Kramer <josh(at)bitbuckets(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GNU Cash (lack of) support of Postgres
Date: 2006-03-06 16:46:02
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Joshua Kramer wrote:

>I wonder if this is just because of lack of demand for a GnuCash supported
>by a (non-file) database backend, or because of lack of developer interest
>in supporting/creating such an entity.
>
>This is one of the reasons that I recommend Quasar Accounting over GNUCash
>for small or medium businesses; GNUCash may be fine for personal use, but
>Quasar is much, much more feature complete, is proven in high-volume
>environments, uses Postgres (or Firebird or Sybase) and best of all is
>GPL.

SQL-Ledger is another accounting software project that is released under
the GPL and supports (exclusively at the moment) PostgreSQL. It is most
definitely not suitable for the personal finance software market, but
for businesses, I have been exceptionally happy with it. The company
that maintains it is also based in Canada... Also, since the entire app
is written in Perl, it is fairly easy to modify the workflow/data entry
screens/reports etc. to meet your needs. It is a web based application
which has some pros and cons, but it is worth knowing about.

>http://www.linuxcanada.com
>
>Of course, that doesn't solve the problem of negative perception created
>by GNUCash abandoning PG support, but I have to ask how much of a negative
>perception is created. For now I don't think it's an issue, but if, for
>instance, eWeek or someone else ran the story, then we might have to do
>some damage control.

Well, my approach would be: How much does PostgreSQL support buy you in
the personal finance market? And for businesses, there are better
options anyway.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting