Re: Automatic free space map filling

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Automatic free space map filling
Date: 2006-03-04 00:50:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Csaba Nagy wrote:
>> So he rather needs Hannu Krosing's patch for simultaneous vacuum ...
>>

> Well, I guess that would be a good solution to the "queue table"
> problem. The problem is that I can't deploy that patch on our production
> systems without being fairly sure it won't corrupt any data... and I
> can't rely on non-production testing either. Basically I'm waiting to
> see Tom saying it will fly :-)

That patch is a step forward if it's deemed OK by the powers that be.
However, autovacuum would still need to be taught to handle simultaneous
vacuums. I suppose that in the interim, you could disable autovacuum
for the problematic queue table and have cron issue a manual vacuum
command for that table at the required frequency.

Anyone up for working on / testing / improving Hannu's patch? I think
it's beyond my skill set.

Matt