Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....
Date: 2006-03-01 00:48:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark Woodward wrote:

>>>Hmm, while I agree that "ini" file is kind of ugly, it is fairly common
>>>in
>>>the industry, human readable, and does what it needed.
>>>

>>You could follow the UNIX style for such files e.g. /etc/hosts,
>>/etc/services (and also pg_hba.conf).
>
> The /etc/hosts file does not allow a hierarchical representation of a
> group that contains zero or more name/value pairs.

Do you need name, value pairs? I was thinking that something like:

# Postgres Cluster Registration
#
# PG_HOME PGDATA PORT
/usr/local/pg7.4.1 /vol01/pggeo 5435
/usr/local/pg7.4.1 /vol01/pgicdmdb 5434
/usr/local/pg7.4.1 /vol03/pg74 5432

Clearly other fields are possible (like ALIAS for the names you were
using, and OPTS for extra arguments).

This sort of layout is easily readable (more easily readable for those
of us used to standard UNIX config files) and simply parsable too.

Cheers