Re: German translation

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: German translation
Date: 2006-02-27 17:15:23
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I went through the German translation and removed some excessive anglicisms
> and made some other corrections.

Hm,
I had a glance at what you changed, and I agree only partially.
It's certainly horrible German style to omit the Bindestrich, I must
admit that (thou in many cases, writing it in one word is the really
correct style). But I'm still in favour for ß instead of ss... :-)

I intentionally left many english terms, as file, key, query, which I
wouldn't count as anglicisms but simply well-known technical terms. Too
many translations may make the description less understandable (for this
reason, I use english OS and server versions exclusively), so I tried to
find a compromise. We didn't have feedback on this from users so far
(except for valid complaints about flakey and weird translations).

In some cases, the translation will be far too long. Auto FK index may
not get much longer, I'm afraid there's no good abbrevation for
Fremdschlüssel, see the foreign key dialog.

Ich frach mich grade wieso ich das eigentlich englisch schreibe... :-)

Gruß,
Andreas