Select with Regular Expressions

From: Peter Weinzierl <peter(dot)weinzierl(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Select with Regular Expressions
Date: 2006-02-26 10:04:16
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

testing a program I ran into a glitch working with the ~* statement.
The problem is, that whenever I want to query something from the
database with ~* containing brackets () or a question mark psql throws
an exception.
So far I have tried to escape the sequence but then I ran into another
problem. Psql didn't fetch the result I wanted it to fetch (the one with
the brackets or question mark),
but one that was similiar to the one I wanted it to fetch.
Here's an example:
I want to fetch 'my (search) string' from the table

select bar from table where bar ~*' my (search) string';

This didn't work out so I tried:

select bar from table where bar~*'my \(search\) string';

But this only returned:

'my search string'

and not the wanted result 'my (search) string'.
The problem is, that I have to escape ... the string otherwise my
program throws an exception.

The language is python.

Thanx in advance

Lucius