Re: Help with postgresql memory issue

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Brooks Lyrette <brooks(dot)lyrette(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help with postgresql memory issue
Date: 2009-10-28 20:01:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Brooks Lyrette <brooks(dot)lyrette(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'm new to postgres and it seems my server is unable to fork new
> connections.

> LOG: could not fork new process for connection: Not enough space

For what I suppose is a lightly loaded machine, that is just plain
weird. What's the platform exactly? Is it possible that the postmaster
is being launched under very restrictive ulimit settings?

If it's a Unix-ish machine, it would be useful to look at "top" and
"vmstat" output to see if the machine is under severe memory
pressure for some reason.