Re: General purpose hashing func in pgbench

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: Ildar Musin <i(dot)musin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: General purpose hashing func in pgbench
Date: 2018-03-21 15:02:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I finally managed to perform this test on sparc v9 machine which is 64
> bit big-endian architecture. I run pgbench script (see previous message)
> with default_seed=123 on both x86-64 and sparc machines and visualized
> the results. You can find them in the attached chart. Both images showed
> the same distribution. So endianness isn't a concern here.

Agree, pushed.

But I have a notice about number of arguments. Seems, special values for hash
and greatest/least functions is not actually needed. If we split nargs option to
n mandatory arguments and n optional ones then special values for that functions
will go away: hash will have 1 mandatory and 1 optional, greatest/least will
have one mandatory and infinite number of optional. Not sure for now about
CASE/WHEN case. But seems it's a deal for separate refactoring.

WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/