Re: Commitfest wrapup

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Commitfest wrapup
Date: 2022-04-09 22:50:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/9/22 1:14 PM, Greg Stark wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Apr 2022 at 10:51, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>
>>> Sound like bugfixes to be backpatched.
>>
>> Yeah. I'm not sure why these have received so little love.
>
> Since bug fixes are important enough that they'll definitely get done
> (and can happen after feature freeze) there's a bit of a perverse
> incentive to focus on other things...
>
> "Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done
> it, but Nobody did it"
>
> I think every project struggles with bugs that sit in bug tracking
> systems indefinitely. The Open Issues is the biggest hammer we have.
> Maybe we should be tracking "Open Issues" from earlier in the process
> -- things that we think we shouldn't do a release without addressing.

The RMT does both delineate and track open issues as a result of new
features committed and a subset of issues in existing releases.
Traditionally the RMT is more hands off on the latter unless it
determines that not fixing the issue would have stability or other
consequences if it's not included in the release.

Jonathan