Re: pgAdmin server properties dialog

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin server properties dialog
Date: 2006-02-23 16:21:11
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I have a few comments on the server properties dialog on issues that have
> bothered me for a long time.
>
> First, the title of the window is something like "Server localhost", which
> means nothing. Perhaps this should be "Connection Properties" or "Server
> Properties".
>
> When I read "Description" I think of sentence or paragraph length descriptions
> (cf. ODBC data sources). Perhaps "Name" is better.
>
> Then, the term "Address" is a bit confusing. PostgreSQL tools typically use
> the terms host, port, username, database. So please use "Host" here, too.
>
> The "Service" field is unclear to me and it clashes with the termin service as
> applied by libpq. See concurrent discussion on pgsql-hackers.
>
> "store password" should be capitalized.
>
> Overall, the arrangement of the fields could be optimized. The "Description"
> field is something that the user makes up whereas the other ones are
> necessitated by the environment, so it would be sense to group them together
> that way. Also, host and port should be closer together. I imagine this
> would be better:
>
> Name:
> Host:
> Port: SSL:
> Username:
> Password:
> Store Password:
> Maintenance DB:
> Service(?):
> Connection Now:

I'd propose to use "Host address" to make it a little clearer.
The word "Service" is, as Dave already pointed out, the correct one
under Win32. However, it's certainly not very meaningful under *ix, so
how can we call this? In theory, we could name the field different in
the win32 and the *ix versions (they can control only local servers),
but this also affects the documentation so a common name for all
versions would highly desirable.

> I would also welcome as a click-saving measure that "Connection Now" be
> transformed into a button. So replace the OK buttong by, say, "Save" and
> "Save and Connect".

Easier said than done. The OK button is handled generalized in a class
deep down, but it's doable (this applies to new registrations only, for
editing existent ones it's still ok).

Regards,
Andreas