Re: Domains and supporting functions

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Domains and supporting functions
Date: 2006-02-19 21:35:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

>On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 10:34:02AM -0800, elein wrote:
>

>>Actually I can do and have done this. It is being tested now.
>>I did create an opclass. It creates a UNIQUE index just fine
>>for the type using the lower() functionality. *If* it passes
>>all of my testing I'll publish it tomorrow on general bits.
>>Perhaps folks can help try to break it when I publish (or
>>if you are around today Sunday, you can test in advance--email me
>>directly.)
>>

>How is this different from the citext module I suggested?

Have you looked at the code of citext? Unless I'm misreading, it creates
a lowercase copy of each string for each comparison. And it doesn't look
to me like it's encoding/locale aware.

No doubt it serves the author's needs, but I'd be very careful of using
or recommending it for general use.

I'm not sure how hard a text type with efficient, encoding and locale
aware, case-insensitive comparison would be to create , but it would be
a Good Thing (tm) to have available.

cheers

andrew