Re: Need license clarification on some web graphics

From: Emily Boyd <emily(at)tinysofa(dot)org>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need license clarification on some web graphics
Date: 2006-02-14 03:51:32
Lists: pgsql-www

Robert Treat wrote:
> It uses the "photo elephant" which I not sure what the license status is. The
> relevant link in the archives seems to be
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2004-12/msg00290.php
> but it is less than definitive since we would not be using these images on the
> postgresql website per say, they would be out in the wild (though under a cc
> license). I have about a dozen more of these using the "photo elephant" so
> before I put them up, can I get an ok from someone?

From http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2004-12/msg00283.php

"The elephant in the announcement box on the front page is a licensed
derivative work of a royalty free image, and Emily Boyd grants the
PostgreSQL Global Development Group the right to use said image on the
postgresql.org website."

"Use by PostgreSQL International sites is possible, but a right to use
must be granted by Emily Boyd for each licensee, as per the terms of the
original license on the image."

I can permit the use of the elephant in specific images (so that it can
be used on PostgreSQL International sites or in advertising), and there
is absolutely no problem with this. However, the elephant can't be
relicensed under a CC license (due to the terms of the original license
on the image).

Regards,
Emily