Re: Why does an ON SELECT rule have to be named "_RETURN"?

From: Tony Caduto <tony(dot)caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
To: ken(at)sunward(dot)org
Cc: "'PostgreSQL pg-general List'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why does an ON SELECT rule have to be named "_RETURN"?
Date: 2006-02-13 02:11:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Ken,
Why don't you tell us why you need updateable views? What exactly are
you trying to accomplish? (you may have already mentioned it,but I must
have missed it :-)

Why don't you create a set returning function and then have the client
do the updating? i.e. have another function to update the data when the
client changes the data. Maybe this is not that easy for a web
interface, but in Delphi or Lazarus using the tdataset it's a piece of
cake. Also what about using a .net disconnected dataset?

I can honestly say I have never had the need for a updatable view in any
application I have ever created (thin or fat client).
Maybe you just need to look at alternative application designs that
don't need a updatable view.

Thanks,

--
Tony Caduto