PQputline error with pg_restore

From: Jennifer Drake <drakeji(at)vcu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PQputline error with pg_restore
Date: 2006-02-09 15:50:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I am running PostgreSQL 7.3.2 on Mandrake 9.1 I created a database
archive using pg_dump (pg_dump -Ft -v -R oral > dbarchive200106.tar).
When I try to restore this database with pg_restore on a new system
(pg_restore -d oral -R -v dbarchive200106.tar), I get the following error:

pg_restore: [archiver(db)] error returned by PQputline
pg_restore: *** aborted because of error

The size of the uncompressed tar file is 1.34 GB. Based on other
informtion I've found here, I tried checking the log for the postmaster
(I assumed to be in /var/log), but no such file existed. The memory
settings on the machine are:

sort_mem = 10000
vacuum_mem = 10000

Are these memory settings still too high? Is there another
configuration I should check? I would appreciate any suggestions on how
to fix this problem.

Thanks,
Jennifer