Re: drop if exists remainder

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: drop if exists remainder
Date: 2006-02-05 19:58:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>However, I see CREATE ROLE doesn't have REPLACE functionality, so what
>is the logic of when we need IF EXISTS and when we don't? Perhaps they
>all should have it, and the REPLACE is just for objects you want to
>replace but keep existing linkage in place.

That was my understanding. I think these are orthogonal issues.

Another issue was MySQL compatibility. AFAIK we achieved that when we
did database, following
{ table view index sequence schema type domain conversion}, which pretty
much all had to be done together, as they share the same statement node
type.

cheers

andrew