Re: BUG #2225: Backend crash -- BIG table

From: Patrick Rotsaert <patrick(dot)rotsaert(at)arrowup(dot)be>
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2225: Backend crash -- BIG table
Date: 2006-02-03 17:15:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

>Is there some reason you can't add more swap space?

Yes, disk space. I have about 2 GB of swap space enabled.

>How do you know it is Postgres that is using lots of memory? The OOM killer
>doesn't just kill of memory hogs, so you can't just assume the processes
>being killed tells you which processes were using lots of memory.

I keep 'top' running while I launch the query. One single postmaster
climbs to the top, claiming 98% MEM and about 8% CPU.

>The memory that Postgres uses is controlled in postgresql.conf. One particular
>gotcha is that sortmem is per sort, so if you have a number of concurrent
>sorts you might be using more memory than you expected.

I am very sure there are no other queries running at the same time. This
is a development machine of which I have full control.