Re: Want to add to contrib.... xmldbx

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Want to add to contrib.... xmldbx
Date: 2006-01-31 15:40:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Mark Woodward wrote:

>> I don't understand what you mean by PostgreSQL trying to be neutral.
>> Postgres focuses on what it's good at, being a database. It's not
>> really for or against anything. The PostgreSQL team is not interested
>> in maintaining code that so clearly falls outside of the scope.
>
> That is more or less what I'm writing about. I wish people wouldn't take
> it as an insult or slam, because it isn't. (I keep saying, I think
> PostgreSQL is amazing, and I've been using it for about a decade.) The
> source code to PostgreSQL implements a SQL database, the PostgreSQL
> Project defines a community creating and using this database.
>
> Is the scope "the source code" or is the scope "The Postgresql Project?" I
> think it can be said that getting more people using PostgreSQL is within
> the scope of "The PostgreSQL Project." As the open source model promises,
> we trust that the more people who use PostgreSQL the better off "The
> PostgreSQL Project" will be. The better "The PostgreSQL Project" is,
> theoretically, the more numerous the resources for the project will
> become, makeing the community better able to improve the source code.
>
> The community is an important part of "scope."

There clearly is a difference, but you started this Mark by asking to
bundle your xmldbx with the core distribution (into "contrib") - thus
implying "source code".

Now - there might well be a good argument for an xmldbx package that
users can one-click install. Since I've got dozens of xxx-pgsql packages
available this way on my Ubuntu desktop, I'm guessing you're thinking
more of Windows.

So, if we reword your question: "Is there, or should there be a simple
way to download and install packages/plugins for PostgreSQL via the
installer?" Now you've got "No" and "Yes" as your answers, but that's
got nowt to do with "contrib/".

Of course, there's still the small issue of implementation...
--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd