Re: Upgrade to PG 8 before starting major development?

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Lan Barnes <lan(at)falleagle(dot)net>
Cc: Postgres Newbie <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgrade to PG 8 before starting major development?
Date: 2006-01-31 14:32:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi Lan,

why don't you just compile Postgres and install it on your existing server?
You could even run it besides your productive PG 7.xxx if you just
switch the 8.1 to another port like 5433.

I dont know about FC3 but at least SuSE keeps its own binaries in
/usr/bin and this seems to be something like a tradition for the
commercial distributions.
If you follow PG's documentation with default locations your own
binaries would land in /usr/local/pgsql.
No problem.