WAL log archive frequency

From: Chris Jewell <c(dot)jewell(at)lancaster(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: WAL log archive frequency
Date: 2006-01-19 10:44:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

Further to my question on PITR, I have now implemented it :-) However,
I was wondering about the frequency of archiving the WAL. Does
postgresql wait until the current WAL file has reached 16MB before
calling the archive_command? The reason why I ask is that last night,
after doing the base backup, I noticed that a WAL file had been written
to my backup server. This morning, I added a primary key to a table but
noticed that nothing was written to the backup server. Should it have
been?

Is there any method of forcing a WAL segment to be archived at a given
frequency irrespective of whether or not it is a full 16MB? Our
database changes so infrequently at the moment that I'm worried that
these small changes may not be backed up regularly by the PITR system.

Thanks,

Chris
--
Chris Jewell, BSc(Hons), BVSc, MRCVS