Re: 8.x JDBC driver

From: Markus Schaber <schabi(at)logix-tt(dot)com>
To: jao(at)geophile(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.x JDBC driver
Date: 2006-01-09 15:35:01
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi, Jao,

jao(at)geophile(dot)com wrote:
> I'm currently using Postgrseql 7.4.8 including the JDBC driver. I'm
> considering moving up to version 8, and thinking about intermediate
> steps.
>
> - Can the 8.x driver be used with a 7.4.8 server?

Yes, you can easily mix driver and server versions from 7.3 up to 8.1
without problems (might be even 7.2).

It may be even better to use the 8.1 driver against 7.4 servers to
profit from better utilization of the V3 protocol and other optimizations.

> - Can COPY TO STDOUT and COPY FROM STDIN be done using the 8.x driver?
> (I couldn't get these to work in 7.4.x).

There are some patches floating around in the net against various driver
versions that enable COPY support. Maybe they help you.

Schabi

Dipl. Inf. | Software Development GIS