Re: PHP, PostgreSQL Extension

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo(at)ttnet(dot)net(dot)tr>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PHP, PostgreSQL Extension
Date: 2006-01-03 02:27:05
Lists: pgsql-php

> Async. functions are introduced in the 5.1.0 release, but in my
> opinion, there doesn't exist any supportive functions to use 'em.
> Let's discuss this on an example:

No, async functions have been around since PHP 3.x at lest.

> 3. Can somebody explain me the existence of non-standard
> pg_select(), pg_insert(), pg_update() and pg_delete() functions?
> Are there any equivalent of these functions in other PHP
> interfaces? Anyway, this is not the matter. What's the targeted
> crowd in the implementation of these functions? Are there
> any stuff we cannot achieve without using these functions?

They exist because PHP development is basically random and generally
done by random people for random reasons.

Also, why are you mailing this here? This is a PostgreSQL PHP users
list, not the PHP developers list.

> 4. I don't want to mention about the not described properties in
> the documentation. (For instance, pg_select() function's options
> parameter.)

They might be described on the PostgreSQL extension main page, along
with all th other constants perhaps.

Chris