Re: R: Case sensitivity? - I understood...

From: Tony Caduto <tony(dot)caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: R: Case sensitivity? - I understood...
Date: 2005-12-31 17:19:53
Lists: pgsql-general

You can't, you have to double qoute everything that has upper or mixed
case. It can become a huge PITA....

The easiest way to get around this is to use lower case for all your DDL
i.e. columns, tablenames etc.

There is no practical reason to use uppercase or mixed case excecpt for
purly visual reasons, i.e. it looks nice or it's easier to read.

I use all lower case and no one using my applications ever has to know.

I can see doing the mixed case if you where porting a large database
from some other system like MS SQL server and it would be a large task
to lower case everthing, but even then it's not that big of a deal to
switch to all lower case.

What I have done in these cases is to export the DDL from MS SQL server
to text files, then run the scripts in PGLA or similar, if nothing is
qouted Postgresql will convert everything for you, problem solved.

Hope this helps,

Tony Caduto
AM Software Design
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com